Melbourne Cup Calcutta Night Huge Success as a Social Event and Fundraiser
This was the 3rd time we have run a Calcutta and once again it was a huge success
Thank you to everyone who turned up at the Hope Island Tavern on the eve of the cup. As well as those that bought tickets prior to the event.
Special thank you to Mark MacCabe of Mark MacCabe Real Estate who was the MC and our Auctioneer
The Leukaemia Foundation was the charity that we supported this year . Every dollar raised from selling tickets for the Melbourne Cup horses and the auctioning amount we got for each horse. The Leukaemia Foundation got their cut first before we paid out prize money.
The Lions Club of Sanctuary Cove Hope Island paid out over $4,230 in prize money. 1st place Cash Prize in the Melbourne Cup was over $2,365.30.
The Calcutta Overview
– Calcutta Draw Tickets were $2 each, each was a chance to win and become the temporary owner of a horse in the Melbourne cup.
– The temporary owner of the horses get 50% of the amount the horse was auctioned for.
– That amount that we have left (after the Charities cut) id the Cash Pool
Then we pay the following amounts after the running of the Cup (the next day) in CASH
– 1st Prize 65% of Cash pool
– 2nd Prize 20% of Cash Pool
– 3rd Place 10% of Cash Pool
– Last Place 5% of Cash Pool